-Study Abroad Vienna, Spring '09-

I will be studying abroad during this Spring semester, '09, in Vienna, Austria. This will be a blog used to keep track of my experiences!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

- Communication Skills -

          For this assignment I interviewed my mom, Carrie, because she doesn't mind being honest and we tend to argue a lot just because we are those kind of people so I thought she would say some interesting things. I also interviewed my friend Emily, who I met last year when I came to FPU. She is one of my best friends who is always around me, so I knew that she would have a lot of experience to draw from, plus she doesn't mind being honest.


          As far as strengths go, both my mom and Emily agreed that I have a good repertoire of skills and I know how and when to use each one. My mom noted that I am good with all sorts of age groups, and Emily said that I am always willing to start a conversation with someone which gives me a lot of experience. In addition, they said that when I am interested in a conversation that I will get very involved with it and I am interested in keeping the conversation going.

          On the other hand, in regard to involvement Emily said that I tend to be fairly obvious when I am not interested in a conversation, so in those cases I am less involved. As far as perspective and empathy go, my mom and Emily both agreed that this is one of my weaknesses because I tend to be very stubborn and opinionated. I always voice my opinion if it is a strong one, and I have a hard time listening to an opposing opinion.

          The results did not really surprise me, but it was interesting to talk to them because they pointed out things I had never noticed. For example, I never really thought about the fact that I am good with all age groups. Now that my mom said it I realized that is very true because I have been working with kids a lot over the years, plus I know a lot of adults through my parents who I have known for a long time and I have grown accustomed to learning how to communicate well with them.

          In order to improve my biggest weakness, perspective, I believe I have been working on this for years already. I have always been aware that I am stubborn and I have a hard time admitting to being wrong. My mom suggested that something like this is common in teens who tend to be egotistical, and things like travel and being in a variety of situations can help to fix this. Therefore it looks like I can put my patience into practice while in Vienna in order to see the perspectives of people who live in situations that may be hard for me to understand.
 
Me and Emily causing trouble at the bowling alley!

0 comments: